Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Learned My Lessons The Hard Way

This piece was taken from the comments portion under Childhood Memories in the Barrio. The writer did not identify himself but he's got a very compelling story to tell. It relates of the twist and turns of his college life, the obstacles and hardships, the inspirations and finally, the ultimate triumph of a successful profession. Let's read his story even as we look back at our own...
.
Some of you may know the writer based on the skimpy details that he revealed. If you do, please drop me a line for his identity...
.
.
First of all, I would like to congratulate you, sir for our very successful blogsite. You are really a one of a kind person as almost all of us are dreaming of becoming like you someday. I was very happy when I first entered the blogsite then I realized for the first time that I have learned my lessons the hard way. Then all the memories and happy moments during our college days just keep coming back. Maybe I have accidentally activated my rewind button on my mind so the memories just keep rewinding and rewinding and rewinding until I decided to pick up my pen and an A4 paper and start writing thing that maybe most of my batch mates have long forgotten.

I Learned My Lessons The Hard Way
by Anonymous

My journey to the engineering profession all started sometime in the month of May 199_ when my cousin W______ (now also an engineer from DPWH) dropped by in our house and asked me “'Insan, wala ka bang gagawin ngayon?” I answered, “Wala naman”. Then he began to encourage me to go with him to Saint Louis College because Enrollment is on going at that time. So I agreed to go with him to SLC to enroll without any idea what course we will take.
.
When we arrived in the school we just followed a group of ladies (alam nyo na sir, chicks e) leading us to a room at the ground floor of the engineering building but we decided to get out because the room was very crowded. As we stepped out of the room we noticed that there are two other rooms that are accepting enrollees. The next room was quite better than the first but we decided to take a little glance at the last room.
.
As we approached the last room we noticed that there were only 3 persons standing on the line, so I said “Bakit tayo magpapakahirap pumila sa kabila, e ang luwag d2”. So we handed our documents and at the time they handed us the forms that was the only time we realized that we were enrolling in the engineering department.
.
I really admit that I have a very hard time during my early years but I manage to have a very strong grip and keep my head above the water level or I will surely drown. It all begun to change when I meet this girl in one of my subjects named M______ formerly my x-girlfriend (ngayon asawa ko na sir). She gave me always the extra strength to hold on until we both finished our course and passed the board exam.
.
At first when I passed the board exam, I thought my sacrifices were over. But as days passed by, I came to realize that I was again starting a new chapter of my life. I even took a job as a driver because there was a problem on the construction business that time and I have three kids. I swallowed my pride to keep my head again above water level but now with loads on my back. But it didn’t last long, my luck started to change and I was employed as an engineer.
.
Now that I am employed here in abroad, I am very thankful of the blessings that I received, but still I haven’t reached half of my new journey. But until now I still believe in what everybody is saying that “there will be always light at the end of the tunnel” and I am now also sure that our life is a journey not a destination.
.
I wish us all the luck in this world on every ones journey.
.
.
Dear all,
.
I take pleasure in reading and publishing your articles on this blogsite. Based on the feedback I am getting, the readership is expanding each day with more and more hits and visits from SLC engineers and engineering students and their friends who are avidly following the articles and contributions from Rowell, Angelo, Carlo, Ludy, Michelle and everyone else. Everyone of us, I'm sure, have some stories to share, some jokes to crack, some puzzles to confound others with. We will appreciate it so much if you keep sending your write ups, pictures, even videos for our ever-widening circle of friends.
Many thanks.
.
-ise.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment